But how does one pull off the innocent charm of lead character Babydoll without looking like a total tramp? Here’s how!
1. Look for vintage pieces inspired by sailor themes. Don’t go on any sites that sell Halloween costumes or Pin Up remakes. Both dresses in my collage were found on modcloth.com
2. Incorporate knits – remember, you’re only a cute sailor girl with a ninja sword in your mind, you’re really just wearing psycho ward clothes.
3. Use elements of dance wear – shrugs, tights, knee socks, etc.
As for shoes, Babydoll wears kitten heels instead of the typical Mary Jane flat. Kitten heels make for a more sophisticated look and help you stay away from the stereotyped school girl look. T-strap or Mary Janes with kitten heels complete the vintage inspired look.
Also, I highly recommend customizing any plain pieces, using ribbon, scarves or buttons. Being the fan girl I am, I felt the need to dress up for the premiere. Here’s what I wore and here’s how I made it.
|Pardon the creepy face.|
You will need:
- A basic long sleeves shirt (or quarter sleeved, to save you time and effort)
- About four feet of fabric (any kind will do)
- sewing device (machine or needle/thread).
* Use the scraps from the blue material for the stripes and vice versa